Monday, June 12, 2006

Today is being mean to me

Big Ben was in a motorcycle accident this morning.

Update 3:00 p.m. - a friend of my coworker just called to tell her that Ben broke his jaw and lost all his teeth in the front along with some other complications. I'll update as I hear.

3:13 p.m. - From The Pittsburgh Channel - According to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost many teeth and has severe injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

Okay, whew, no knee injuries apparently.

ABC News Video

Update 6/14/06 - Ben was upgraded yesterday (Tuesday) from serious to fair condition, and doctors at Mercy Hospital said he could be released later this week.

He suffered a fractured upper and lower jaw, a fractured nose, as well as other facial fractures and head lacerations. He lost two teeth and chipped several others. But there is no evidence of any major structural damage to his knees and even more importantly, he suffered no injury to his brain.

6/15/06 - Ben Roethlisberger left Mercy Hospital at 11:45 p.m. Wednesday (6/14/06), only 60 hours after busting up his face in a motorcycle accident outside the Armstrong Tunnels in downtown Pittsburgh. He'd undergone seven hours of surgery Monday afternoon.

6/16/06 - Ben's apology: "In the past few days, I've gained a new perspective on life," he said in a statement released by the team. "By the grace of God, I'm fortunate to be alive." He said in the statement that if he ever rode a motorcycle again, "it certainly will be with a helmet."
Roethlisberger said that he realized he had a responsibility to safeguard his health in the off-season so he could continue to lead the team. "I never meant any harm to others nor to break any laws," Roethlisberger said. "I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me."

6/19/06 - Case closed. Ben and the woman cited. Woman receiving threatening phone calls.



- not the bike from the accident

- the bike from the accident and the evilhatefulstupidmean car


I am going to go home and curl up in a little ball and fall innocently asleep to my dreams of Ben without a bloody head throwing kiss covered footballs to me while Jared stands by singing songs to me of how much he loves me and thinks Jessica Simpson is stupid and ugly.

14 comments:

Jen said...

Oh yikes. It sounds like he probably wasn't wearing a helmet. *shakes head*

*crossing fingers* that he's ok.

*hugs*

Glowie said...

No he wasn't. He doesn't wear them. There was a bunch of shit about that last year.

Thank you. *takes hug* *crosses fingers too*

Monstah said...

I really dispise anti-helmet laws. In fact, I really dispise bikes.

More to the pint, he is going to be okay, and that is the most important thing. Hopefully his career will be okay to but that is secondary to his life.

*BIG HUG*

~Nutz said...

I just read about this. Here's hoping he'll be all healed and ready to go come August.

{{{hugs}}}

yvonne said...

*big hugs* to Glow Pop, and *good healing vibes* to Ben

Breezy said...

A crotch rocket!!! *shakes head* No real man rides a crotch rocket.

*runs*

Glowie said...

ugh. I was leaving that part of my worries out. :P

Anonymous said...

*hugs Glowie and doesn't say the things I said to the TV this morning*

And *smooch*

And *punch, kick, smack to Jessica*

Bravie said...

Now that I know where you stand, I can post. He's a dumbass for not being more careful. And it will serve him right to get a huge fine from the state and from his employer.

Glowie said...

I love the man but I'm quite capable of calling a spade a spade. I hope something does happen within the organization to help him learn his lesson because I'm pretty sure wrecking his face ain't gonna cut it. And there won't be any huge fines from the state. There will most likely be something, but it won't be huge.

HistoryDetective said...

Awww, I knew you would be upset as soon as I heard this. *hugs*

gothmog said...

I used to be a fan (Miami being in my backyard and all), but Knockers called it: he's a dumbass. I hope he recovers well enough to realize he's a dumbass, but I'll bet that wasn't the last time he'll ride without a helmet.

And. From what I've gathered about this kind of injury (this is my Psyche's specialty, and I hope I've picked up a thing or two from her years of experience in this area), it's impossible for anyone to tell at this point whether or not he's had a brain injury. Psyche says neurosurgeons are notoriously bad about this--they look at the physical state of the brain and make their pronoucements, which are often wrong and misguided. Only a thorough psych-eval will detect whether the brain is working as it should mentally after such a collision, and it's too early for such an eval to be done or to be accurate.

Psyche, btw, looking at his other injuries, and looking at the pictoral evidence of the crash, can't imagine how he could have possibly avoided having a brain injury, but she doesn't want to be like the ignorant neurosurgeons and make a snap judgment.

*hugs and smooches* to my favorite Steelers fan.

Glowie said...

Hiya G! Yes, they've said (they being some doctor chick on the news) that it is impossible to know yet if he has brain injury. She mentioned possible future memory loss and seizures.

Jen said...

Yikes. I hope he means what he said about never riding without a helmet again.