unicorn
1.(positive)
Your dream person. (doesn't exist because it's a dream) Your perfect person. (I, right now, think Sidney Crosby is perfect.) The person to whom you wish to be with intimately more than anyone else. (Right now? I mean this changes all.the.time.) This person is characterized by the following statements and application rational.
Statements:
The unicorn is a rare mythological creature. (So it doesn’t exist then right?)
They have healing powers and can neutralize poison. (So Adam Lambert is a unicorn?)
Rational:
Despite its rarity, everyone has a unicorn. (Okay, so it is real?) But everyone’s unicorn is rare to them. This one person can soothe your soul and give you a sense of worth or completeness. (So my unicorn is Ryan Star?) Just the thought of this person can heal your innermost pain on the darkest of days. (So my unicorn is my husband? Or maybe Matt Cooke.) It’s the perfect person. (and we're back to Sidney Crosby is a unicorn.)
2.(negative)
The unreachable love. Too good to be true because her unicorn status is superficial. Because most unicorns are rare and out of touch, the truth of the unicorn is likely askew. Beauty is exaggerated and faults and other unattractive attributes are forgotten or discounted. (I think this goes back to a unicorn being a crush. Like a celebrity crush. Somebody you have heaped goodness on without really knowing if they deserve it. A person you've made into a perfect person in your imagination.) It’s your true love (Mr. Right/Dream Girl) and endless pursuit of this unicorn can only lead to disappointment. (But if it’s your “true love” then it shouldn’t be disappointing and this doesn't go with the first part at all. Not even a little bit.)
It's really bothering me and I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for. Help me out, people.
Is your unicorn the same as your lobster?
Do you think of your unicorn as your crush of the moment?
Or your long lost love?
Or maybe it’s only a vision, a fantasy, an imaginary perfect person you have made up.
Or maybe it's even somebody who exists but doesn't make you feel that certain tingle. Maybe your unicorn is too perfect to have lustful feelings about.
This definition is so confusing to me. I could have several different unicorns at any given moment. I mean, heck if we're talking about somebody I am currently finding crush-worthy, I could have a field full of unicorns.
Like, is my husband my unicorn because he is my lobster?
And I said in an email to Jen that a lobster would be a soulmate but I guess that isn't necessarily true. A lobster is your mate for life. Most people (possibly all of them) never find their soulmates. I still believe in that for some reason but whatever. Your lobster can be your soulmate but it doesn't have to be.
Or is my unicorn (of the moment) Jordan Staal because I want to have crazy monster sex on the ice with him while everybody is playing hockey around us?
Or is my unicorn my long lost love? That what if guy (who shall remain nameless).
Or is Sidney Crosby my unicorn because I think he is perfect?
Or Taylor Kitsch because he epitomizes everything beautiful about the male body?
See why I'm finding this confusing?
I was reading something somewhere and some girl said she wanted to rub unicorn blood on herself. Her unicorn? Kris Letang. So does she think he is her soulmate? Or does she want to have crazy monster sex with him in the middle of the ice during a hockey game? If a unicorn is, in fact, some perfect person you make up who doesn't actually exist (that you know of anyway), like some crazy horse running around somewhere with a horn sticking out of it's forehead probably doesn't really exist but how cool to think that it does and so you make up stuff about what a unicorn is and what it stands for, how could Kris Letang be her unicorn when he does, in fact, exist? It's not important why she thinks Kris is her unicorn. What is important is who is my unicorn? I want to call somebody my unicorn.
Even these photos have me confused.
Is this how I think of my unicorn?

Or is this how I think of my unicorn?
Because those pictures are very different.
Edit to add:
from the conversation with Jen, I have decided that it is pretty safe to call Taylor Kitsch my unicorn.
This is how it breaks down:
Husband = lobster
Kitsch = unicorn
Crosby = perfect
Ryan Star = music
Jordan Staal = CrazySexMonster
Matt Cooke = picnics + hand holding
Sounds about right to me.
8 comments:
#1 - your second picture is pure fantasy because everyone knows unicorns don't have wings.
Now, the thing about soulmates that I've always beleived is your soulmate is not necessarily anyone you are in love with or physically attratced to. A soulmate can appear at any point in your life. My soulmate is one of my very best friends from Uni. My mom spotted it - she said Eric is your soulmate. Eric and I aren't romatically related in any way - we never see each other but when we do it's like no time has passed.
DH is completely fine with this and, after I explained to him my view on soulmates, he was adamant that we get Eric to our wedding.
I collected unicorns growing up and think they are beuatiful, magical creatures who are safer in a mystical forest away from the prying eyes of humankind. No person, in my view, can be a unicorn nor would I put that expectation on him or her.
By the by - you left Adam off your list. Is that because he's too busy working my cash register?
Well, I did mention Adam in the "healing powers" part of it. I didn't list him at the bottom for the same reason I didn't list a number of people down there. Which is because... I dont' know. Maybe for the same reason I forgot myCookie in the other post. Does that mean I have to give Adam his own post now? Cause I totally will.
It doesn't feel right for me to call anybody my unicorn. I just can't think of these people as mythical creatures (because they are not). I don't know. I just thought it was kind of cute that this girl thought of Letang that way and I obsessed over it for a day. It was like I needed to know her exact feelings for him to try to figure out why she called him a unicorn. I was probably feeling offended by it at one point and needed to know if I had to protect him from her somehow. I'm over it now. *grin*
oh. And I know about the wings. I just had to post that picture because of the mood of it.
I remember getting so annoyed whenever I saw a unicorn with wings - a pagasus with a horn.
Annoyed in that 13 year old, eye roll, foot stomping incredulous indignation that the world was soooo stupid and the masses would never, ever understand the complexities of unicorns.
I did the same thing with the creatures of D&D. Everyone knows Elves are not short little sprites. And why couldn't anyone ever figure out the difference between a dwarf and a gnome? *eye roll*
Oh God. I've just admitted to an awful lot here.
*runs out of blog, completely humiliated*
Now I'm confused. I just know that Michelle is my lobster. Throwing other animals into the mix just confuses me.
Ummm... Glowie?
WTH is a lobster? I always thought of them as food, not partners.
I agree with maroonclown about soulmates. My soulmate is a dear friend of mine for whom I will never have romantic feelings. He's happily married to the love of his life. On the other hand, I have another friend who is planning to spend the rest of his life with his soulmate because she is the love of his life. It doesn't often work out that way, but when it does it is magical to behold and everyone who sees them together knows this is how it is for them.
I know, Carey. Right? I was confused too. I'm pretty over it now though. I don't think that girl means any harm to Kris. So that's good. I will gladly keep an eye on his body if he needs me too though. My sweet little puppy. Hey! You got one of the guys from Pitt I was watching for! Scott McKillop. Take care of him.
Lobsters mate for life, Velva. Didn't you learn that from Friends? "He's her lobster."
*blushes*
I've never watched an episode of Friends...
I am a cultural illiterate.
Post a Comment