Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Okay all you Twilight Lovers

Explain to me what parts of these books makes you love them? It's taking me much longer to read the third book (Eclipse? I even forget what it's called.) than it took me to read the first two. I practically devoured the first one. The middle of the second book was the most interesting part to me so far. Is the lack of Edward a coincidence? Probably not. And this whole vampires sparkle in the sunlight is making me really want to watch Gary Oldman as Dracula (now that's a vampire there. I'd have pulled my hair back and stuck my neck up to his mouth) and buy the rest of the Angel series. Who doesn't want to believe that Buffy and Angel ended up together? That is a human/vampire romance right there. But I mean, who would choose to be with somebody who is hard as stone and cold as ice and uses all of his energy to just not kill you? All these teenagers are in love with this freak and it's making me really sad. :( Even if I, for a minute, pretended that there is some romance to be found in this series, I'd be looking in the other direction. Hot (literally), half-dressed, Indian boy who turns into a wolf and really cares about you because he does not because the scent of your blood makes him want to kill you wins. Bonus? He's mostly human. Also, he says stuff like, "It’s not like love at first sight, really. It’s more like… gravity moves. When you see her, suddenly it’s not the earth holding you here anymore. She does. And nothing matters more than her. And you would do anything for her, be anything for her… You become whatever she needs you to be, whether that’s a protector, or a lover, or a friend, or a brother." and "I love you. And I want you to pick me instead of him. I know you don’t feel that way, but I need the truth out there so that you know your options. I wouldn’t want a miscommunication to stand in our way." Seriously. One of my nieces (the one that decided I should read these books) is TeamJacob (Breezy says there are teams). That makes me smile (so far anyway). I have a feeling that my other niece has already made up her mind what team she is on based on whatever team all her friends are on. She hasn't read the books yet though. I just hope all these people know that there is a difference between obsession and love, okay behavior and not at all okay behavior.

I mean, I think vampires are the shit but these things in these books are.not.vampires.

And there is never anything romantic about being abused.

And tell me. Is Stephenie Meyer a genius because she writes exactly like a 13 year old girl? I can write like that for internet purposes but I don't think I could do 8 billion pages like that. Or does she just write exactly like a 13 year old girl?

Maybe I'll change my mind if I am ever able to get through the rest of this. I'm sure at some point wolfboy gets thrown under the bus, right? So far, he's still as wonderful as ever, if not more so. Otherwise... well never mind, either way, I don't understand.

10 comments:

arkie said...

OK, I read all the books in this series, and I will admit, I was already prejudiced slightly by some comments that I read on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books - re: fine line between romantic and stalker behavior, and Edward really skirts the line. Plus, I have a hard time getting all gushy over a guy who, in this book, is physically 17 years old (same age as my son, so that would make *me* creepy if I gushed over someone young enough to be my minor child, yes?). I did find the whole "can't go out in the sun because we sparkle" to be somewhat riduculous.

On the other hand, I couldn't be on Team Jacob either. I don't know if I should really go into why I couldn't, because I can't remember what part during the series the reason I can't be all woo-woo for Jacob occurs, and I wouldn't want to spoil it for you, in case you intend to finish the series.

Tummy said...

Team Jacob here.

I think the 4th book is the best out of the series, but still a little weird.

This is not my favorite series of vampire books by far. In fact I can say I enjoyed the movie more than the book and that doesn't happen often. Last time was Jaws. :)

Swami said...

I am a huge fan of vampire books but I have never read these. I guess at some point I decided they were teen romances & not "serious" vampire stories, lol.

The early Anne Rice vampires are terrific. I also like Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's take on vampires - which is almost the toal opposite of Rice's. I love Count St. Germain.

maroonclown said...

My 14 year old neighbour is Team Jacob.

I'm halfway through the 4th book and it's becoming somewhat of a struggle.

I think the draw here is, regardless of the object of love, tweens get into the drama of unrequited (sp?) love - you know that kind where you throw yourself down on your bed, wailing that you will nevah, evah love anotha. Then you throw on some Barry Manilow and sob to "Weekend in New England" until you can sob no more. Not that that ever happened to me *blink blink*

But I agree about the Anne Rice Lestat trilogy. A set of books I gave to my 14 year old neighbour for Christmas (with her mum's permission of course)

Glowie said...

I think I have an idea why you can't be wooed by Jacob, arkie. I hope I'm wrong though. My mind started wondering at one point. It was uh-ohing (about the two-year old).

I enjoyed the movie more too, Tummy. Much more.

"I guess at some point I decided they were teen romances & not "serious" vampire stories, lol."

Exactly, Swami. I mean, I guess I should have been more prepared for that since it was recommended to me by my 14 year old niece. heh.

I know all about the teenage unrequited love, MC. Although my blast your ears out, crying songs were mostly hair band ballads. Every Rose Has Its Thorn and the like. But there's got to be a break between the author and the character. If that makes any sense.

I just feel like all these kids are going to wait for their Edwards when they'd be much better off with their Jacobs.

I mean, shit, in one part of Eclipse, Bella was saying that Sam looks at Emily the way Edward looks at her. Fukcing idiot. That look in Sam's eyes when he looks at Emily is GUILT.

bah.

To each her own, of course, but I just really don't like this "love" story. Or more specifically, I don't like that this is supposed to be a love story.

Glowie said...

And arkie, I don't think there needs to be prejudice to see that Edward skirts the abuse/protection, romantic/stalker lines far too often and much too closely.

And whatever it is that Jacob ends up doing wrong, I'm confident, could be blamed on Bella and her obsession with Edward.

Velva said...

I read all four of the books in the series, and I had to approach them as teen romance, because they really weren't "vampire" books in my opinion. My main issue is that I really don't like Edward for many of the same reasons that I didn't like Angel as a character on Buffy. The creepy stalker thing just doesn't do it for me.

My other issue is that Bella is one of the most annoying protagonists I've ever encountered in a series.

Yes, if I had to pick a team it would be team Jacob. At least he's likable. Also he seems to have a better grasp of reality than either Bella or Edward.

I thought that the third book should have been the final book in the series. That ending, although somewhat sad, felt like an ending. The fourth book just felt like trying to "make it all better" for the tweens.

As far as Stephanie Meyers' writing style goes, please remember that she is a devout Morman trying to write "suitable" fiction for the age group. It make a lot more sense that way. If you want to read something more adult from her, try "The Host." THAT'S an interesting read.

Zombs said...

Count me in on Team Jacob! I did however like the 4th book and yes it is weird.

I would say everything you said is spot on. I just don't get why anyone would choose an icy, cold, pale, non-human 17 year old instead of a hot, non-stalker, human(mostly).

I do think the autheor creates a good "world" with her own mythology. But her writing is like a 13 year old. It's pretty much crap. But if it gets tons of girls reading big books then I'm all for it.

I also think after reading the 4th book that it is not done and I suspect Jacob will get screwed some more.

Tummy said...

Agree with every thing everyone pretty much said here. I'm a Kim Harrison/Karen Chance fan - now there's some paranormal fic you can sink your teeth into :)

Glowie said...

I'm not much farther into Eclipse than I was when I posted this. I think I've read about 20 pages since then.