Ever since I got a flu shot (a couple weeks ago), I've been sick. Interesting. My throat is totally closed and I haven't stopped coughing since Friday. Shawn says I got sick following Ryan around. heh. *sigh* Which, I guess, is possible but he said his cough was from fatigue and I don't think that's contagious.
We had my dad's surprise 60th birthday party on Saturday. It went well. I have pictures... I have to load them to my computer. I didn't get the red-faced expression picture. I was too busy just wanting to see him to bother with the camera. He was surprised. Not totally surprised but surprised. He knew something was up when a) we told him we were making him dinner and b) we told him he had to pick up the kids at the firehall first.
Some dude went with Ryan to Malaysia. *relieved sigh* He's very well recieved over there. Much better than here.
Augie has me thinking about charities. I've given lots over the past several years to the Humane Society, nwf, defenders of wildlife, greenpeace, etc. I haven't been able to give a lot this year but I want to over the holidays. I have to decide if I should make one big (lol... not BIG big) donation to one this season or a bunch of little ones to a bunch of them. Help me decide. I suck at decisions.
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I'm glad your Dad's b'day party went well.
As far as charities goes, it's always better to give a bigger amount to just one or two rather than a smaller amount to a bunch of charities. I'm trying to remember the reason for this but it's not coming to me. It may be that the more charities you give to, the bigger chance of your name being put on mailing lists.
I know every little bit helps. However, there are a bunch of poorly run charities out there. They spend a majority of donated money on advertising and cheap giveaways. The Humane Society does that. I've received cameras, mugs, pens, etc. etc. from them. What a waste of much needed money. A small donation to them would be wasted on advertising.
I did a lot of research on charities. Make sure to look at their records. See what percentage of donated money actually gets spent on helping people/animals etc.
Or, go to http://www.charitynavigator.org/
You can do a lot of research on charities there.
*HUGS*
Oops, forgot to mention your illness. Don't flu shots make you sick? Is this the first time you've received a flu shot? I always thought that flu shots gave you flu symptons. That's why I have been hesitant to get one myself.
*hands Glowie a cough drop*
Yes, what Nookie said. I believe my donations this year will be to just one or two organizations.
I always thought the charities who gave the "gifts" had the gifts donated. hmmm.... Thanks Nook.
Nope Glowie. They pay huge bucks for the advertising and it's out of your donated money.
Yeah, I think the flu shot actually does give you the flu. It's supposed to help build up your antibodies or something.
Happy Belated Birthday, DaddyGlow!
Being sick sucks eggs. *hugs*
I'm a big advocate of the charities that help people help themselves, like Habitat for Humanity and Heifer International.
*smooch*
Post a Comment