Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Crazy/Beautiful

I got married when I was 22. It was an ugly marriage. It was unhealthy for both of us. Drugs, physical and mental abuse, etc. I believe it was also unwanted from both of us. In retrospect, I have no idea how we ended up married. After that, I got involved with a coworker. We started hanging out while I was married. We were great friends. He was so not my type. Which, I guess at the time, I thought was a good thing. After I left my then husband, Dave and I got involved more intimately. Well, sort of after I left – never mind, that’s a different story.

I was with Dave for a bunch of years. I passed on another relationship for him. A relationship with a guy I had a soft spot for that would have been a better one for me. But that’s another story. I gave up a lot of myself for Dave. Looking back, I know he didn’t like who I was at all. He was constantly trying to change me into something else. I think he thought I was broken and he needed to fix me. We had fun together. We were good friends. Sex was an issue with him. I’m not sure exactly why. I mean, I have some idea of why but he took it to an unnecessary extreme. Meaning we didn’t have sex. At all. There was occasional oral sex. But anyway. He never spent the night. Sasha, Savannah and I lived alone. There was no reason why he couldn’t spend the night. Maybe he was afraid I would try to make him have sex. Bizarre. So one day, he decided that we needed to take a break. This sounds so humorous to me now because he was very much not good enough for me. And for me to say that really says something. At the time though, I was crushed. I cried and cried and locked myself inside my house. I stopped eating. I started smoking regularly again. I drank more than usual and constantly. I chopped my hair off in chunks and then called my sister crying. She had to come over and fix it. I called his house but he wouldn’t come to the phone when I called. His parents were worried about me. His sister called me every other day or so. I didn’t know what to do. I think that the biggest problem was that I knew that I was ready to settle for him, that I was about to give up myself for him. For him! And he was going to dump me? After I wasted years of my life recreating myself for him because he was a good friend? What.ev.er.

So, I lost weight. I believe I lost 21 pounds in a few weeks. Then my boss (my then boss) made me eat jell-o. It was red and it had peaches in it. I started going to the gym. I started eating again. I kept smoking and drinking but at least I was eating and getting out too. My coworkers and bosses begged me to get help. To seek therapy. I went to my family doctor instead and got medicated. A friend of mine, Dee, (a mutual friend of mine and Dave’s actually) and her husband, Frank, decided to watch over me. They took me everywhere with them. They bought me stuff. They checked up on me constantly. They were courting me almost. She went to the gym with me. They took me to Wolf Park. Wait, that wasn’t until July, back up to May…

Let’s see. Dave dumped me in February 2002. By May, I was very thin and finally starting to get pretty muscular. They started to tell me about a friend of theirs. He used to work with Frank, he helped them move, he watched their dogs. My ears perked up at the last part. An animal appreciator? Dave didn’t appreciate animals. Least of all mine, which had by this time increased to two cats and one dog, Sasha, Savannah, and Serena. I got a kitten from my sister during all of this and named her Serena because she was supposed to be my serenity. So I agreed to meet him with no promises or obligations. I wasn’t in the mood to date, quite frankly. I hadn’t been on my own since I was 17. It was time for me to be single for a bit. I wanted to find the right guy. I didn’t want to settle down with the first guy that fell into my lap. I was happy with the way that I looked for the first time in_ like_ ever and I wanted to laugh at stupid boys falling all over me for a while.

We went to the restaurant where Shawn worked. My dad asked about him later and I said, “He has a nice face.” Man, my dad hated Dave, but that’s another story. So Dee and Frank asked me what I thought of him and I said that he seemed nice but reminded them that I wasn’t in that place yet. The next time Shawn and Frank spoke, Shawn bitched at Frank for bringing a hot chick to meet him while he was greasy and smelly from work. A little time went by and a few failed attempts at setting us up went by. Not because of me. I wasn’t going to refuse hanging out with the guy. He was nice and he was their friend. Our schedules just weren’t clicking. I don’t remember why because I really didn’t do anything besides work and go to the gym. Well, and I guess I went to the bar a lot but I wasn’t going there as much at this point. So Dee and Frank took me to Wolf Park and Shawn watched their dogs. That was July 4th weekend. We watched fireworks in Indianapolis.

Frank’s birthday is at the end of July. We went to dinner. Me, Dee, Frank, Shawn, and Laura, a friend of Dee’s that liked Shawn. Heh. Then Laura left and we all went to the movies. I can’t remember what we wanted to see but there weren’t four seats available together. Shawn suggested we split up and sit two and two. But Dave was in that theater. He turned and looked at us and I said I didn’t want to sit in a packed theater, which was partially true. I hate packed theaters. We ended up seeing some movie about dragons that had Matthew McConnaughey and Christian Bale in it. Shawn doted on me all night, getting me drinks at the restaurant, getting me popcorn and Twizzlers at the movies. It was cute. We went back to Dee and Frank’s house and I was getting ready to go home. Shawn said he enjoyed the night and hoped to see me again soon. I smiled, said something like, “yeah,” and walked out the door.

The following weekend, my sister and her husband wanted me to go to the demolition derby. So, naturally, Dee and Frank were coming with me. I asked Frank to ask Shawn if he wanted to go. Guess what? He did want to go. At the derby, Shawn was cool with my sister and her family. He bought me, my niece and my nephew snow cones. After the derby, we went back to Dee and Frank’s and hung out for a while. Shawn and I went outside to smoke a cigarette. We sat on the porch step. We talked for a while with three big dogs piling all over us, licking our faces and trying to get us to play with them. We were about to go in and Shawn touched my arm and said, “hold up.” I looked at him and he asked me if he could kiss me. I thought that was just about the cutest thing ever. So I let him kiss me. It was a sweet and tender kiss from a sweet guy. I hadn’t had one of those in a long time. We stayed there and talked for a while. I told him I was crazy. He told me I was beautiful. I told him about my problems. He told me I was beautiful. I wasn’t ready for him to see where I lived yet. He was living with his parents in like the richest part of town and I was living in a trailer in a trailer park. I’m not sure why this bothered me at the time. I guess Dave did a number on my self esteem. Dee and Frank told me I was being silly. They reminded me that he lived in his parent’s basement and I was all grown up and living on my own.

That Sunday was the Italian Club picnic. I went and I had fun. I got really drunk and made out with some young kid. I also made out with some girl. But that’s another story. I went home and Dee called me to tell me Shawn was at their house waiting for me because I said I would come over that night. I did? Okay. So I went over there. Shawn ended up coming to my house that night and we had incredible sex. Oh, and he passed the dog test. He got along well with Sasha. Very important.

Two weeks later, I went to his twin cousin’s 25th birthday party and met the entire family. About a month later, or less, I think it was less, he was living with me. He called me Crazy. I called him Beautiful. We had a lot of ups and downs but that was the beauty of us living together. I knew enough about us to know that there was going to be more ups than downs. He started to learn things about me that most people never do. I started to trust him, after some time, more than I ever thought possible. We decided that we would buy a house, get married, and possibly have kids. Then we bought a house and got married. I’m still undecided on the kids thing. Anyway, now we call each other ‘honey’ or ‘hon’ and we have two dogs and three cats and a house. I call him safety and security and love and home. The end.

33 comments:

Bravie said...

Yay!!! *smooch* Thanks for posting, sweetie. I love you.

momma said...

Yay!! So sweet. I like your story.*smooch*

btw - I need to email you.

Jen said...

I love that last paragraph. *sigh* *sniff*
I'm proud of you for sharing all of this here.

Love you. *smooch*

Glowie said...

Love you too, Sunshine.

Thank you, Momma. *waits for email*

Thanks, Jen. That was a lot of sharing, eh? heh. I love you too. *smooch*

thndrkttn said...

I loved it! Especially the crazy/beautiful part.

I really like how each of you guys write your stories.

*sigh* I may get around to writing mine one of these days.

Bravie said...

Does this mean that TK is going to finally get a blog? *hops*

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

Great story and I remember the night in the bar when you went BRB and came back engaged.

~Nutz said...

*sobs*

This is so sweet! You two are perfect together. *smooch*

Schnookie said...

I also agree that it didn't matter where you lived sweetie, you were making it on your own. Not an easy thing to do. *smooch*

Thanks for sharing your beautiful story of how you met Shawn. *sniffle* Love the crazy/beautiful portion.

Love you!!!!

Schnookie said...

Oh and, you made out with a chick? *grin*

Bravie said...

Ooooh, I remember that night too, Steve. And then she posted a thread and I think it was titled "Carat cake" or something along those lines.

Seana said...

How sweet is that?

Thank-you for telling your story.

Monstah said...

Um. That last line makes me happy.

And I posted a message in your blog yesterday. It went *poof*.

Glowie said...

The last line? "The end"? LOL. I hate when my blog eats your messages.

Glowie said...

Steve and Carey, I actually was engaged when I came into the bar but didn't announce it yet. The thread was "for dessert, karat cake" Or something like that.

Yes Nookie, I made out with a chick that day. It wasn't the first and if you count the cherry incident in DC, she wasn't the last.

Glowie said...

oh. And *smooches* all around. Thank you everybody for reading (or pretending to read) my boring story.

Bravie said...

*giggle* I was going to mention the cherry incident in DC. Just ebcause it makes me smile.

Glowie said...

I was trying to tie a cherry stem with my tongue on Christmas Eve but it kept getting stuck on my stud. I don't want to be out of practice when/if I take my stud out. *grin*

Bravie said...

You should have called. I could have tried to help you.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Carey is ever helpful, I noticed. I wonder if she's trying for a merit badge or something.

Thank-you Glowy for sharing your crazy/beautiful story.

Bravie said...

I am, Bob. I am trying to get my cherry stem tying merit badge. I'm very good at doing it, I just need someone to oversee it.

lights said...

I loved reading your crazy beautiful story Glowie. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Trailer dweller does not equal trailer trash. This I know.

I'm so happy for you and Shawn. You're both very lucky to have found each other. *hugs*

Puffy said...

I don't like the last sentence: THE END
It's not the end, it's only the beginning!
I remember being in the bar when you got engaged, and the karat cake thread, too.
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Sonya said...

Aw! How sweet!

mm said...

I thoroughly enjoyed it all, Glow, and when I got to the end, I just smiled really big. :) It's so sweet, and I feel so lucky to have been able to witness the marriage (online).

Thanks for sharing it with us.

jenbeauty said...

Wow, thank you for sharing that glowie. *hugs*

yvonne said...

I love your story sweetie, but I love it even more that you invited me to share your very special day with your very special sweet guy. That touches my heart so much.

Love you girl! *smooch*

mtw said...

That is a sweet, sweet story Glow. I hope your story gets better and better as time passes.

I have a couple of comments. First, by my count, you now owe us three other stories! ;-) Second, like you, I haven't had a sweet and tender kiss in a long time. I hope to get one someday. (DW isn't much for kissing)

NO, I'm not begging for volunteers here on Glowie's blog!

And NO, my breath is just fine thanks you.
*cups hands*
*exhales*
*sniffs*

Yes, my breath is fine!

Puffy said...

I loved seeing your wedding on line! It was so exciting to be able to do that and then chat about it.

Sonya said...

Happy birthday. You share my other half's birthday. How special!

mtw said...

Happy Birthday, Glowie!!!
*sweet_tender_smooch*
Yay! I stole a kiss from Glowie!

yvonne said...

Happy Birthday Glow Pop!

*smooch*

Love you!

Aislinn Sirk said...

Swinging by with B-day wishes