Monday, November 19, 2007

Two years

I figured one of these days, I might look back at this blog and wonder what was going on with me for the month that I didn't post. So.
Shawn's grandmother died on the 9th. She was 87. Pap is 89 and was having troubles taking care of her. We hired a nurse to come to their house in the mornings and in the evenings to get her out of and into bed. She went into the hospital and the doctor called to ask about the plugs, if and when the time should come. Monday the 5th, as far as Shawn and I knew, she seemed to be doing a bit better. Wednesday, the 7th... I believe it was Wednesday, it might have been Tuesday, Shawn's mom called to say that they pulled the plugs. She passed late Thursday night (early Friday morning). We had viewings on Monday and Tuesday and the funeral on Wednesday. Billy, Shawn's mentally challenged uncle, came up to me in the hallway on Monday night, as soon as we walked in and said, "I didn't want to lose her." He's not much of a toucher, if he was, I'd have given him a big hug but I was afraid to freak him out. Billy is 68. It's an age he is quite proud of. He likes to brag about being born in the old fashioned days and several years before Shawn's mom. He says she was born in "modern" days (fyi, that would be 1942... don't tell her I told you how old she is!) not the old fashioned days like he was. Billy is a lot to handle. He's wonderful and we love him but he is stubborn and talk-a-lotty. MIL is worried about what will happen to Billy when Pap passes. (MIL and Billy are Pap's kids. Aunt D, Uncle J and Aunt P are Nan's kids.) She said she assumes everybody will expect her to take him in because she is his sister but she can't. FIL told me last night that if that happens, he's packing up and moving in with us. I really don't think anybody expects her to take him in. I mean, I would hope not. I'm more than willing to be the voice of reason there if it comes to that (but I sincerely don't think it will).

So anyway. yeah. RIP Nan. We love you.

We had our first of three Thanksgiving dinners yesterday. His parents do theirs the Sunday before. We go to my dad's on Thursday and my mom and stepdad's next Sunday. I'm glad they spread it out that way. We might go over Uncle J and Aunt M's on Thursday after my dad's but it's nice to not have to go all over the place.

Today is mine and Shawn's two year anniversary. yay us. Our anniversary present was tires for the van. *snort* No, not really, but kind of. He neededthem anyway whether it was our anniversary or not. Then? The garage called and said he needs upper and lower ball joints on both sides or his tire will fall off as soon as he hits a good pothole. Naturally we panicked. Then they told us how much (approx $800) to change them. Naturally we panicked some more. I called my BIL and he called Advance Auto Parts. In case you're curious, you can buy upper ball joints (for an E150) for $12.99 and lower ball joints for $11.99 per side. That's $50ish dollars in parts. BIL said, "fuck them. I'll do it." He used to work on cars all.the.time. He still works on his and my sister's when needed but he has stopped being so willing to do anybody else's and that's cool but ThankyouJesus that he was able and willing to do it this time. He told Shawn when we were leaving (and he was drunkish) that anytime Shawn needs work like that done to come to him. That is a HUGE deal for us (we're talking about a thousand miles a week on this van). We threw him a hundy to butter him into the willingness for future help. Anyway, today is our anniversary. His shipment was late today so he had to start late. That means he'll be home after me. That means I have to make dinner. I told him I would and he asked me what I was making. I was like, "I have no idea what we have," because he's the normal dinner cooker.

Hope all is well with everybody. I don't get out much.

14 comments:

Asrai said...

I'm sorry about the loss in the family...death just sucks.

But yay indeed for the 2 year anniversary!! Today is my oldest daughter's 17th birthday!! Celebrating for everybody!

It's funny about the tires...Karen and I are gonna give each other a tire for Thanksgiving for the Element. It desperately needs them, and after our vow to buy, wrap, and give gifts to each other from now on...this is our solution! *giggles*

Much love, honey!!

Bravie said...

*hugs* to you and Shawn.
Happy anniversary. I'm sorry it has to be at a sorrowful time. *hugs*

MM said...

Wow, you've had a lot going on! {hugs} I'm so sorry about the loss of Shawn's grandmother.

Happy Anniversary! I'm really glad that BIL helped you out with the car. *smooch*

momma said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Nan. *hugs* to you and Shawn.

Happy Anni!!!

*smooch*

Swami said...

Happy 2nd anniversary, Glowie!

And sorry for the loss of Shawn's grandma. I hope things work out for Uncle Billy too. (Tom and I worry constantly about what will become of Max when we are both gone.)

Oh Yeah - Happy Thanksgiving too!

frodis said...

Happy anniversary, Glow! I am also sorry to hear about Shawn's grandmother. I'm sure the family will pull together to support Uncle Billy. It's all part of the good times and the bad.

I hope you have happy multiple Thanksgivings!

Swami said...

*Swami hoists a left-over, deep-dish, pumpkin pie high over her head, winds up, throws and...*

!!!SPLAT!!!
Gotchya.

yvonne said...

So sorry to hear about Nan. *hugs*

Happy Anniversary, lovebug. *love*

Puffy said...

I hope you made "reservations" for your anniversary dinner.

I'm sorry about your sad news. I hope Pap will be ok with Nan. It'll be hard on him.

Puffy said...

I meant to type "ok withOUT nan." Sorry for the typo.

Schnookie said...

*HUGS* My condolences to you and Shawn on the loss of his grandmother.

Happy belated anniversary! Wow, 2 years already. It's funny how some couples are so practical when it comes to gifts. DH & I are like that. Sometimes it just makes more sense to spend money on things that you really need.

*smooch* Nice to see you around.

kim (weltek) said...

Sorry for the loss of grandma, but I hope you still managed to have a good anniversary.

*smooch*

Jen said...

*hugs*

happy belated anniversary. Love you big! *smooooooooooch*

Syren said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!

Hugs and warm gentle thoughts for your loss.