push something out of your brain that haunts your every thought?
Watching Friday Night Lights helped for the most part. But then my brain would go, I wonder what blah blah blah. Writing about Friday Night Lights helps but I'm at work and I can't really spend my day writing... or watching television.
I can't read things. I can't concentrate on work. I can't do anything without these thoughts going *pop* into my head. I mean, my brain is never free from thoughts. I feel like it's going to explode... or implode. People always say to think about nothing. That isn't really possible. I try to ignore things by not talking about them but I think that makes me think about them more. I don't want to talk about them though and it's making me crazy (crazier). I don't know why I do the things that I do or why I am the way that I am but I do and I am. Is that something you can apologize for? Being who you are, I mean.
If you have any ideas please share them with me. Please.
Thursday, April 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
How do you? Well, it's not been an easy road for me but I have learned to push the thoughts out of my head. I can't think of nothing. Impossible for me. But I have found that when certain thoughts pop in my head, I just tell myself "self, don't think about that. Stop thinking about that." It didn't work that well in the beginiing but I found that the more I practiced it, the easier it got.
So do you think it may be possible for you to start telling yourself to not think about it? And then force yourself to think of something else?
Like I said, it's not easy. Especially not at first. But with practice, it gets easier. And now, I would say that 75% of the time it works. I've found that I am much happier now that I can push those thoughts to the side.
You should never have to apologize for who or how you are. You are who you are and you can't control how other people respond or react to how you are.
*hugs*
I wasn't trying to make this post about me. But you asked "how do you", so I could only respond with how I do. *smooch*
To add to this. I have found that when a thought comes up, I ask myself why I am torturing myself with these thoughts. I ask myself why I want to think about these things that make me miserable. Then I find that the original thoughts sort of put themselves aside because I become involved in talking to myself about WHY I am even allowing myself to think these things.
Not sure that made sense to anyone else besides me.
torture, yes. Not so much miserable.
I am still in a surprisingly okay place in despite of all the wrong things because I have A LOT of right things going.
I have tried just shaking my head like a salt shaker to pour the thoughts out. Sometimes it works but never for long.
Thank you, love.
That's another part of the excercise. When the thoughts that I don't want pop into my head, after talking myself out of having those thoughts I try to move my thoughts to the good things. Remind myself of the good things around me and remind myself that those thoughts are much healthier ones. And yes, sometimes it is hard work to force the other thoughts out and the good thoughts in.
the thoughts I've been having are good. Not good good, I guess but not bad like... bad bad.
hmmmmm. How do I say something without saying anything when you can't see me? If I can figure that out, I'll be back.
I have had obssessive thoughts once or twice in my life. One set was recurring worst-case scenarios about one of my kids. Made me want to cry every time. The other was a weird kinky sex thing I won't get into. Very weird. Anyway, you can't unthink thoughts you just have to try to find a perspective for them and/or wait them out.
For my worst-case scenario thoughts I could analyse the scenario and force myself to staert seeing solutions along with the problem. I rarely talked about these thoughts - only to my DH.
For the kinky sex one I just waited it out. Took about a year and a half. Now if I try to rethink those thoughts I just find myself wondering WTF I thought was so cool!
You don't ever need to apologize for who you are or what your thoughts are. Nobody lives in a perfect, happy and well-balanced world all the time. They just don't. So think your thoughts and live your life. Not the best advice maybe, but it works for me.
Good point, Swami. I didn't mean to make it seem as if my excercise is what will work for anybody else. I was just stating what has worked for me. :)
"think your thoughts and live your life" is quite possibly the best advice I've ever heard, dear Swami. Thank you.
I agree with Swami's approach to stuff, because I'm not good at pushing thoughts out of my head unless I have something to replace them with.
I either let the thoughts run their course and then move on to something else or I write it out and then put it away. For some reson getting the stuff down on paper (even in the form of fiction) clears my head.
I was having a horrible worst-case scenario thought involving my DH for awhile, but I talked that through with him and he told me what he'd want me to do if that happened. Somehow having a plan made my brain relax.
{{{hugs}}} Glowie! I don't know if this is any comfort, but everything you describe sounds like how my brain works too. It isn't always fun, but you aren't alone.
This happens to me a lot at night. And it's awful because I lose sleep. When I had a real hard time back in September/October, I had to get some pills to help. They don't work so much now.
I'm not much help, I just wanted to tell you I know how you feel.
Thank you, velva. I would love to sit and talk to you some day. We have a lot of the same interests/hobbies/thoughts it seems. Maybe one day in New York. *grin*
Thank you, boo boo. It is a help. Always.
*smoooooches all around*
Please know that I am not unhappy or in my funk again or whatever. I'm just all AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGH! You know?
You should never have to apologize for who or how you are. You are who you are and you can't control how other people respond or react to how you are.
*hugs*
This is the truest statement, ever. People gravitate to you because you are who you are. They become your friends because of who you are. They may not always agree with you or what you do, but there is a common ground that you share based on who you are.
As for thoughts, the only things that have ever helped me are to either talk about it or write about it. Beyond that, I can't help you out. Maybe get yourself a private Glowie-only blog where you can write at work or home and get the thoughts out or work thru them?
I've taken the "write it out" approach before. During my divorce I was having panic attacks. I wrote all my feelings on paper and it helped.
My brain hardly ever stops either. The only break I get from my thoughts is watching TV (sometimes) or playing a repeative game like Tetris on my phone.
I sometimes envy people who "have no thoughts", or seem to be carefree. But we (you and I and all us thinkers) are much more interesting. And I think, compassionate.
I would think writing the thoughts down or talking to someone/something just to move them out of your head might help. But I assume, being writerly, you already try that.
I love you the way your are Glowie. Only change if it's causing you complete personal strife.
You know what I hate when this happens to me? The imaginary conversations in my head.
I have thoughts constantly. My mind never stops working. Ever. I usually keep them all inside. Sometimes I type them into my blog, then save it as a draft and never publish them. If you were in my head, you'd say I'm effed up! :D
I just came by to give you hugs and smooches.
I find that just writing about stuff helps me to get it out of my head simply because I have expressed it so I am ready to move on.
Post a Comment