Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ice Dancing

The Bulgarians, Albena Denkova & Maxim Staviski, were robbed. I am in love with them. If I ever have children, I'm naming them Albena and Maxim. Okay, maybe not, but Maxim is a kick ass name. I was bitching about it all night. Lying in bed, lights are out, we settle into our spoon, and I say, "You know, that really pisses me off. That other team, whoever it was that won bronze, I don't even remember where they were from, but they were put me to sleep boring." Shawn says, "Write a letter or let it go."

They were robbed. Robbed. *sigh*

oooh. I just found an article. Here's a quote from it:

"Bulgaria's best skating duo Albena Denkova and Maxim Staviski deserved to be on the Olympic podium, Evgeniya Karnolska, President of the Bulgarian Skates Federation commented from Turin.
Karnolska, who was in the jury, also said that everyone was very disappointed from the fifth place of Albena and Maxim in the figure skating final at the 20th Olympic Games in Turin. "We will ask for videotapes of their presentation, but there is nothing that could be done. Albena and Maxim's performance was brilliant. I am really sorry that my colleagues decided so," Karnolska added.
In her words the Bulgarians could have been third, "because they deserved it." "Bulgaria's presentation was unique," Karnolska also said, pointing out that the other pairs "were not able to impress the audience."




38 comments:

Schnookie said...

I believe the bronze winners are from the Ukraine *go Ukraine*.

I missed the Bularians routine. I'm not sure I like the new scoring rules. I guess it's a good system in that random scores are used for the results, however, throwing out 3 of the scores does open it up for some close calls. I'd hate to be the people in 4th place. Just one score could have put them on the podium. They should probably just eliminate one high and one low score.

My beef? All day long, they showed the American dance couple's routine. I think I saw it a gazillion times. Ok already. Enough! I don't like her anyhow because she's a Canadian turncoat LOL.

Glowie said...

Sweetheart, you live in America. You're going to get tons of coverage on Team USA.

My beef? The right couples got gold and silver but the wrong couple got bronze. It really has me quite angry. I hope, for Shawn's sake, that I can let it go before I leave work today. heh.

Schnookie said...

Oh I understand about the US coverage. It's just that they showed them all day long. Just them. Every time I looked at the tv they were showing replays of their skate. No other sports ... just them *UGGGGGGGH*!

LOL. I do hope you can get over it by the time you get home.

Jen said...

Didn't see it. I do love figure skating, but ice dancing? eh.

I could go into my rant about Yvegeni Pleshenko though. (I didn't look up how to spell his name. I'm sure I butchered it.)

Glowie said...

Ah. I see, Nookah. Yes, that would be irritating. I was at work all day and when I got home we watched recorded events.

Please do, Jen. I'd like to hear it.

Jen said...

Well, I just don't understand how he got such high scores on his "artistic impression" or "program components" or whatever the heck you want to call it. Even the commentators said that his program was all about jumps, and there is nothing artistic about it, so how did he get such high scores? They flat out said "He has no program." I can understand his high scores on the technical side, but not for the artistic. Maybe I just don't understand the scoring, but if someone is going to get the highest scores ever, I would expect something really spectacular, and I barely remember anything about his skate.

Glowie said...

The scoring has two parts. Executed Elements (these include the “required” elements – triple axel, triple loop, etc.) and Program Components. I don’t believe you were questioning the Executed Elements, so I won’t clarify. Program Components include skating skills, transitions, execution, choreography and interpretation. So where his choreography and interpretation may have been lacking, he made up for it in leaps and bounds (literally) with his skills, execution and transitions. He was most definitely deserving of the gold.

Schnookie said...

If who Jen is talking about is the guy I'm thinking about, then I agree with her. I understand what you are saying about the judging scores Glowie, but his performance was bleh. Extremely boring. IMHO.

Bravie said...

I haven't had a chance to watch the ice dancing yet. It sounds like that might be a good thing.

Jen said...

I guess that makes sense. I just think he should have to put a little more effort into choreography to get such high scores. Oh, and he has stupid hair. *grin*

Glowie said...

Nookie! He executed every.single "trick" with perfection and his transition into them was amazing.

Jen, he doesn't do his own choreography. The requirements left little room for choreography anyway. The guys who were dancing around being all pretty were the ones that couldn't pull off all the "required" moves. Plushenko has tremendous talent and he knows what it takes to win. Obviously. I do agree about the hair, however.

Schnookie said...

Oh, I agree that he excuted all the requirements. I actually love the guy. You know, sometimes these guys are so flawless that they make it seem so easy. I sometimes think that some of their manoevers aren't that difficult because they make it look so easy. Of course, I realize that the manoevers are difficult. Just that they look so easy sometimes. In the end, I thought he was boring. There was no emotion or oomph.

Schnookie said...

Now, watching the Italian ice dancing couple was exciting *gigglesnort*

Did anyone see the look she gave her partner at the beginning of their dance last night? I thought she'd used up all her evil looks after their previous skate LOL.

Schnookie said...

I didn't see the extra snippet on him. Like I said, I do love the guy. *smooooooooch*

LOL at you wanting him to throw her on the ice. I wonder if we'll see them paired up after these Olympics are over LOL.

Glowie said...

It was all about how he moved 1,000 miles away from his parents to train when he was eleven years old. They couldn't afford to move away with him. So he feels he owes it to them to win. It made me cry.

The good news is that we probably won't see them. They came out of retirement to compete in this year's Olympics because it's in their home country.

Jen said...

I missed pretty much all of the ice dancing this year. I only watched a bit of the complusory (? I think. The thing where they all dance to the same music and do the same steps) and I watched like 2 couples last night and then went to bed early. What happened to the Italians?

Lasann said...

The olympics are on, aren't they. I haven't taken the time to sit and watch any of it yet, but I'm panicing that TAR is starting next week.

Schnookie said...

Jen, the Italian couple kept falling during their routine (I think on Sat or Sun). What made it comical was he usually had his arm wrapped around her neck which looked awfully uncomfortable LOL. He even may have had his leg wrapped around her neck at one point LOL. Anyhoo, when they finished their poor routine, the woman was furious and just kept glaring at her partner. She looked venomous.

Then last night, just as they were getting ready to start their routine, she just looked at him again with such fury, as if to say "fuck up this time and you are dead" LOL.

Glowie said...

Jen, he tripped or something and they fell. She glared holes through him until they finished the free dance last night. Then she hugged and kissed him. She is an obnoxious bitch.

Lasann, why is TAR panicworthy?

Jen said...

LOL. That's funny. Wish I would've seen that!

I really hope TAR can recover from the snooze fest that was the Family Edition.

Schnookie said...

I am soooooooooo looking foward to TAR. Yay!

Glowie said...

Somebody please sympathize with my Bulgarians being robbed.

Glowie said...

oh! P.S. don't you just love my new Jared icon? He looks frustrated. *grin*

Schnookie said...

I do sympathize with your Bulgarians. As I said, it sucks to come in 4th place (or 5th for that matter).

You are going to just hate me Glowie but I don't think I like that Jared icon. Looks like he's making the motion of holding a gun to his head. Too angry.

*runs away before Glowie can kick her*

Schnookie said...

*runs back in*

And, I am very sorry that I missed the Bulgarian's performance. Maybe they'll show a repeat tonight. Sounds like they did a spectacular performance.

*runs back out*

Jen said...

I'm sorry you're so upset. *sympathy*

I love the new icon. He looks hot. Nookie is crazy. Like we didn't already know that, right?

*makes crazy circular motions*
Good thing she's not here to see me. *grin*

kim (weltek) said...

*ice dances through Glow's blog*

yvonne said...

The Bulgarians were robbed! Patooey on that!

*smooch* to Glow

Schnookie said...

I saw that Jen *WHACK*

Glowie said...

Angry. yes. Frustration sometimes becomes anger. I? like this icon. *sticks tongue out at Nookie*

*smooch* to Jen. Good girl. :)

*watches Weltek ice dance*
*applauds*

Augie! *runs to catch Augie*

Aislinn Sirk said...

Figure Skating rant:

Last Olympics, the Canadians and Russians kinda tied for gold in pairs Figure Skating with a big judging controversy. I was so sick of their stupid smiling mugs by the time that was over. The was nothing but them on. Blaaaah!

I like watching all the sports, not endless repeats one highlight.

And, Schnookie, every time the ex-Canadian goes on the ice, Mr Bob and yell "traitor!" . Glad they got silver though.

Schnookie said...

LOL Bob. Mr. Nookie will be so happy to hear that someone else is shouting traitor at her. I didn't even know about her. It was DH that told me.

Glowie said...

I don't understand why she is called a traitor. *head tilt* Don't a lot of Canadians move to the US? She's been here for eight years. She had to become a US citizen to compete in the Olympics with her partner. He is from the US. *head tilt* Please explain.

Schnookie said...

We are joking Glowie *smooch*

Glowie said...

ohhhhh.
heh.
funny.

*snickerdoodlesmooch*

lights said...

I think Team USA owes us half a silver medal. *giggle*

Ice dance is probably my favorite part of figure skating. I think I have a fantasy of being an ice dancer. Too bad I gave up figure skating after my unfortunate bunny hop incident.

I've only caught bits and pieces of the skating. There's just too much good stuff on tv these days! I felt bad for the Canadian couple, Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon. They looked so sad about having to withdraw from the competition.

Oh ya, almost forgot...the Bulgarians were robbed. *wink*

yvonne said...

Perhaps the "traitor" was sick and tired of snow, hockey, and poutine, and couldn't wait to leave.

And by the way, you all may be joking, but I find the term traitor to be rather harsh. I doubt Miss Silver Medal ice dancer deserves to be called a traitor. But that's just me.

Glowie said...

I agree, honey bunch. Except for the poutine part. I have never tried it but have a feeling I'd like it very much.

*runs after Augie*